So today is Meatless Monday here in the House of Snuggles.
In fact, everyday is meatless so that’s a moo point (ha ha, get it.)
I dunno about you, but my workday lunch hour is only about a half hourlong. That’s not a whole lot of time to squeeze in a sensible, nutritious lunch. With that being said, sandwiches are pretty much my BFF in the lunch world.
This week’s sandwich is a spin on the classic deli favorite chicken salad. My mom used to make these beautiful gourmet chicken salad sandwiches for my school lunches. They were so gorgeous in fact all my friends were jealous and wanted to trade. I’ve been in a reminiscent mood lately and I have decided to re-create this very sandwich but my style.
The Super Snuggly “Chicken” Salad Sandwich
What you need:
- 1 package of tempeh- (I like the whole grain kind)cubed into cute little bite sized bites
- Vegan Mayo- I use Earth Balance made with olive oil because it’s so damn tasty
- 1 medium dill pickle, diced
- 1/2 of a medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2tsp dijon mustard
- 2tsp tamari
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 tsp dill
- Lettuce, tomato, sliced onion for sandwich toppings
What you do:
- First steam the tempeh for 15-20 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a bowl, add the tempeh and stir to completely coat everything.
- Chill for about an hour before serving.
I find this goes perfectly in a pita pocket. To add some nutrition to this, I used whole grain pitas. This makes a perfectly satisfying lunch when paired with a big bowl of watermelon for a side and a homemade cookie for dessert.