Ever wake up and just feel like making pancakes?
I know I do.
This past Sunday, I woke up with a hankering for interesting pancakes. I looked through my fridge and found some strawberries that were about to turn and a bag of walnuts.
Sold. I adapted a recipe out of La Dolce Vegan to fit my strawberry-walnut pancake dream and my little experiment turned out beautifully. They were sweet, fluffy and had just a hidden crunch. What can be more satisfying for breakfast? I’m not sure, but I’m sure I’ll share with you when I find it.
Strawberry Walnut Pancakes
1C All-purpose flour
1/2tsp baking powder
1/2tsp baking soda
1/4tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4C “milk” (I use almond)
1T canola oil
1/2C chopped strawberries
1/4C chopped walnuts
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Mix your vanilla, milk, and oil in a separate bowl.
- Combine your dry and wet ingredients until just mixed. A few lumps are ok. If you over mix, your pancakes will get kind of rubbery and that’s no good. We want fluffy, not rubbery.
- Gently fold in your strawberries and walnuts.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet or on a griddle over medium heat. Put a scoop of batter on your skillet and cook until you see a bunch of bubbles (roughly 5 minutes or so.)
- Than it’s time to flip! Flip your pancake and cook until golden.
- Top with maple syrup or whatever toppings you like. Depending on the size of your scoop, recipes make about 8 pancakes.